Sunday, March 27, 2011

Who's Got the Best Oysters

If you know me you know I LOVE oysters. I don't just swallow these yummy little suckers but chew their salty ocean deliciousness. As part of my weekend birthday celebration we tried some first comers of the season - Island Creek and Wellfleet. And here are my thoughts.....

The Island Creeks are a little small at this time of year but have a great fresh ocean taste. Their my local favorite and I fully support the way they are "farmed," and the entire organization that supports them. If you take a trip down to the South Shore of Mass you'll get to enjoy these treats as fresh as can be.

The Wellfleets were bigger and meatier but still waiting on their oceany flavor to mature. With a splash of lemon the saltiness of these oysters is delicate yet intense all in the same. These I enjoyed with red wine, yes red - it's just a myth that you can't have fish with red wine.

And on that note, St. Germain cocktails are an amazing compliment to an evening of oysters. I must warn you - take it slowly as this pairing is so tasty it's hard to stop.
My next goal is to take a trip out west and compare the west coast to what we have here on the eastern ocean!

1 comment:

  1. As part of my weekend birthday left 4 dead survival warehouse celebration we tried some first comers of the season - Island Creek and Wellfleet. And here are my thoughts.....

    ReplyDelete