Thursday, January 17, 2013

Not Everyone Plays Nice

I'm afraid to have kids (and no, there's no baby in my tummy, just lots of mac & cheese). I watched a documentary on bullying, it's horrible. Why are kids so mean? Why are people so mean? Did you know that I work at a pretty happy job, where we talk about pretty things all day. It's awesome, it makes me smile, like a lot. I applaud all those teachers out there. When we have kids, can you help us raise them?

Well, that was sad, sorry about that. Let's talk about crowding your pans. You know you've done it, I've done it too. When you dump everything in a pan and hope it cooks and turns out delicious. It cooks, but it's not delicious, it's more or less confused. Because you crowded your pan. I'm an offender, don't worry.
So here's the new rule. Be patient. I am anything BUT patient. Ask my Mom, ask my partner-in-crime. But patience creates better-tasting weeknight meals. Like a simple chicken sausage with peppers and onions. Saute each ingredient separately and the outcome is delicious. I love this easy meal.

Weeknight Sausage & Veggies
Ingredients
Chicken, turkey, pork, veggie sausage. I have a caveat here, if you are a paleo friend or a health-food lover, Whole Foods sells non GMO sausage and it's worth the extra dollars. Please trust me on this, I never lie (wait, not that's a lie, but still buy it!)
Veggies, cut - seriously any kind, but always use onions and garlic - there's really no reason not to
GOOD Olive Oil
Salt + Pepper

1. Heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute the onions and a little salt until nice and soft (it's important to stir every so often). Then add the garlic to cook for another minute. Remove onions and place in a big bowl.

2. If needed add more oil and cook each veggie separately with a little salt and pepper. This allows each veggie to cook perfectly for the best taste possible. Add each veggie to your big bowl once they are cooked.
3. Add cute sausage and cook until golden brown. I personally love the sausage with little burnt edges - yum! Once it's all cooked add all the veggies back in, turn the heat to low and cook for a couple minutes to meld the flavors together (is meld a word?)

And that's it, the patient person's version of Weeknight Dinner.










No comments:

Post a Comment