Wednesday, December 21, 2011

An Oldie but a Goodie - and It's Chocolate

I have standard cookie recipes that I use time and time again because they are easy, fail-proof and really just taste so darn good. Chocolate crinkle cookies are one of these little gems that I bake every holiday season and seem to be a staple at many cookie swaps over the years. They are full of chocolate, look like they are topped with snow and moist and delicious inside.

Although you have to freeze the dough for at least an hour, I enjoy the idea of breaking up the baking process. (Allows me to throw in another last minute recipe like muffins while I'm waiting!) And although there are many variations and recipes, I always go with one that includes cocoa powder. I find the flavor to be more true chocolate than using semisweet chips. Don't these look like heaven???


Chocolate Crinkles - adopted from Good Housekeeping Cookies
Ingredients
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa (I used Hershey's special dark)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter (at room temperature)
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 Tbsp light corn syrup - I simply omitted this
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
2 large eggs (at room temperature)
2  tsp vanilla
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Directions
Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt

In another bowl beat butter, sugar, corn syrup on medium speed until well combined. Add the flour mixture in batches and mix until combined. Cover dough and refrigerate at least 1 hour

Preheat oven to 350 F

Place powdered sugar in small bowl. Shape cookies into 1 inch balls and roll in powdered sugar
Place cookies on ungreased cookie sheet and bake about 8 minutes or until cookies are set.
Cool on a wire rack

Yum Yum or as my niece says Mum Mum!

2 comments:

  1. I love chocolate crinkle cookies! I also love that you omitted the corn syrup. I always omit this with recipes, and if its absolutely necessary sub agave or honey. Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas Maggie! I'm obsessed with honey - maybe I'll make some honey cake this week.

    ReplyDelete