Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Salads Don't Need Lettuce

Things have been busy these past couple of weeks so I took a little (and by little I mean minuscule) break to create one of my stand-by lunch favorites passed on from a friend - thanks Mara! - and updated to work with what's in my fridge. More importantly, it's healthy, light and leaves the lettuce for another day.

Meet your new friend, Eggplant & Chickpea Salad
  • Cut up 1-2 eggplants into squares and roast on a baking sheet at 350 for 30-40 minutes (don't forget the salt and pepper!)
  • Place into a bowl (while still warm) with 1-2 cans of drained and rinsed chickpeas
  • Here's where you consult your fridge - today I added some scallions and parsley. Many times I add fresh lemon juice and feta or roast green peppers and onions and add those as well.
  • Add a little more salt (little is less than you really think, about a pinch) 
  • Mix with 1 tablespoon GOOD olive olive
Let the salad set, relax and enjoy!
I think lunchtime will be a happy break this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment