Thursday, May 9, 2013

Dear Chicken Thighs: I Adore You

Let me be clear there are MANY days I don't feel like cooking. Well actually it has more to do with time and ingredients and tiredness. But then I feel bad because our beachy little town doesn't have an overabundance of awesome takeout options - some, but not a ton.

But then there are dishes that come together when:
a: I don't want to cook
b: I have slim pickings of ingredients
c: I an tired

and it turns out so perfectly that I forget I never wanted to cook in the first place. And all is right in the world - well, my world at least.
Let's talk chicken. I used to only buy and eat boneless skinless chicken breasts. Then I smartened up and realized chicken thighs have a whole repertoire of recipes that I just adore. And they can make a Friday night throw-together meal feel a bit more fancy. We like fancy over here (fancy as in we ate dinner in our workout gear, but wine was included so it counts).

The ingredients 
chicken thighs (bone-in, skin on)
prosciutto slices - cut in half)
brie - cut into thin slices
1 Tbsp olive oil
salt + pepper

The "recipe"
First make an assembly line - prosciutto slices, brie slices and salt + pepper. Take your fingers and separate the skin from the chicken thighs making sure it still stays attached - you are essentially creating a pocket for more flavor.

Place half a slice of prosciutto and 1-2 slices of brie under the skin of each chicken thigh. Then salt + pepper the skin of each chicken thigh.

Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil over medium high heat in a large pan . Once heated, place each chicken thigh skin side down into the pan. It's best to do this with your hands (probably not safe, but it's the best way!). This is going to seal the skin and make sure your pocket of flavor stays in place.

You want to turn each piece of chicken over once it does not stick to the pan and it has formed a nice golden crust (if it is sticking to the pan, walk away slowly - the chicken needs some time alone). This is about 5 minutes on each side, depending on how big your chicken thighs are.Cook on the other side for another 3-5 minutes and then....


you have dinner, or as we like to call it Fancy Friday Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment