Monday, December 1, 2014

It's Very "Purpley"

Okay name that movie, who created the word "purpley?"

ELF!!! Remember when he says "oh that dress is very purpley." Only the bestest movie ever.

Okay who got us all off track? It was you guys it wasn't me. I'm always on track. I mean ask my husband. This girl? Always. On. Track.

Right, the track. Okay so my new cooking method is to make lots of food, with little effort and freeze it so I always have something on hand. I can't have the same thing for 4 days. That's too much. Too much.




















So I made lentils. They were brown lentils but then they turned purple. It wasn't my fault. It was the carrots. But purple is a nice color right? We had organic purple carrots and I threw them in the pot. And the lentils turned purple. Purple lentils are delicious though. Delicious.

NOTE: If you read to the end I say the word "poop" and I show you the boys. Just saying.







































Purpley Lentils
Ingredients
1 onion or 2 leeks chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
3-5 carrots, chopped
3-5 celery stalks, chopped
1 1/2 cups lentils
2 Tbsp tomato paste
4-6 cups of stock
handfuls of baby spinach (really who measures out baby spinach - just add what you want!)
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
GOOD olive oil
salt + pepper

Directions
*Saute onions/leeks, carrots, celery in olive oil for 5 minutes over medium heat in a heavy bottom pot (keep those non-stick pans far away friends, far away)
*Add in garlic and sauté until translucent and yummy smelling
*Add in lentils and "toast" for about a minute
*Add tomato paste and stir throughout your pot
*Add salt and pepper to taste
*Add stock and bring to a boil, turn heat to low and cook until lentils are soft - about 40 minutes
This is why I love this recipe, you can leave it on low and tend to baby poops.  Yes there's baby poop written in the middle of my recipe
*At the end add the spinach, red wine vinegar and any additional salt & pepper
*All done, feel free to eat a bowl and freeze the rest

Lentil Faces


No comments:

Post a Comment